t

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

on tour with me, the glutton

last weekend, Panu and I took a 4 day trip to his little hometown of Helsinki. I always thought Scandinavia (although, technically Finland is not part of Scandinavia, but you know, it's up there somewhere) was a far away land, somewhere i would never go. but we hopped on a plane and hey presto! 2.5 hours sees me as far north on this little planet of ours as I have ever been. Insane, isn't it?

now, i believe there are 3 ways to tour a new city - through culture, shopping or food. Panu is a culture kinda guy and me, we all know what a glutton I am, so it goes without saying how I would choose to tour any city! after having travelled together a number of times now (and lived through several disagreements), i think we've hit the jackpot and found a brilliant equilibrium, and this trip was the fruit of our compromising labour! (actually I think he's just realised that a well fed and well slept catty = a happy journey for all, so it wasn't too hard...)

So we hit Helsinki (blessed with gorgeous weather) and managed to take in the sights - Suomenlinna Fortress Islands, cathedrals, churches, and Helsinki Museum, we shopped a little (those Finns love their shopping!) and we ate. Boy did we eat. My favourites?


Panu's meal which on the menu actually says 'Dr Phil's Very Unhealthy Meal'. Fried everything, with mustard & ketchup. Yum!



This was a 'Meat pie with THE LOT'. I know, it looks like a burger. The 'meat pie' part of it is the bread, which has mince cooked into it. Talk about revolutionary! the LOT included pickles, salad, sausage, bacon, egg and lots of mustard and ketchup!


Glorious berries! berries of all kinds and shapes and colours and tastes! berry heaven!


Salmon and a baked 'tater - the Finns had fish, mainly salmon, coming out their wazoo but they sure now how to cook a mean seared salmon, so it's all good. they can be the king of the pink fish!


Lovely delicious fresh shrimp and crayfish ~ available in abundance and oh so tasty!

So as you can see, I thoroughly enjoyed my trip! We even dabbled with reindeer and elk (moose)... which were both equally tasty but i didnt want to upset the kids with photos of skewered Rudolph...

Oh, you wanted to see photos of the sights? so very sorry, here they are!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home