t

Thursday, March 03, 2005

crossroads...

Right now I'm at a crossroads at my career. I've been with the same company for 3 years now and everything is going ok.. I mean, as ok as work will ever get. There are times when I am so stressed I don't think I can make it through the day. There are times I am so bored I can't even FIND a new website to read. Most of the times I'm just busy enough to get me through the day. Lately however I've been pushed by my manager to take on a lot more responsibilities - some that are way way way out of my scope. Is he testing me? Just give me a damn pay rise already!!!

Anyway, I was close to quitting this job about 2 years ago but have been hanging in there to work on a major convention/project which was scheduled to be on in February 2005. I did this convention, called Forum, in 2003 and words cannot describe the experience. In any case I've been hanging out to do Forum again but as you would have it, the February date was postponed to May 2005. And the May 2005 date postponed to November 2005. And you'll never guess. The CEO issued an email yesterday announcing the official "retirement" of the Forum.

Having the Forum "retire" basically disolves any reason why I should stay where I am, especially knowing that my company is rather stingy when it comes to money. I did a quick search on Ambit's IT&T Salary Index and found out that I am worth about $15K more than what I am being paid right now. This realisation has started the ball rolling and this weekend I'm going to spruce up my resume and perhaps start casting the line around...

However, there is one reason why I would sacrifice a pay rise to stay with the current company. The company culture here is so so so good. I'm completely micromanaged by a National Manager who (a) I never hear from unless (b) I need him to escalate something for me in which case he will always have my back. We work on a basis whereby there is no 9-5, hours are flexible, dress code is flexible, everything is flexible! I have friends here who I would miss... and I have so much freedom (hence blogging at work).

Is it worth sacrificing quality of work life for a little more money?

Am I being irrational??

Can the only person who reads this blog help me out - come on mate, you know who you are...

Another thing which has occurred to me is that if I'm going to leave this job and start something new, I have to think long and hard about what I want to pursue. Before I was an IT Nerd, I was in Marketing and actually fell into IT by chance (and chance has kept me in IT for about 4 years). Should I go back to Marketing (I'd probably have to start as a Grad though!!) or should I keep going in IT?

I think the next choice I make will have a big impact on my career for the rest of my life. If I stick with IT, this will be my industry for life. If I move somewhere else.. who knows what doors may open.

Anyway, first things first - update my resume!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home