t

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

the host

Like many other fans of the Twilight series, when i got to the final page of Breaking Dawn, i felt lost, helpless, hopeless... and without a desire to ever read any other series again. Ever. I'd wander through Borders, touching random book covers and reading blurbs of books whose spines had caught my attention. But... nothing. In despair (oh, me the drama queen), i picked up the other Stephenie Meyer book, The Host, hoping that well, if she did so good with Twilight, she might just do good again.

The Host for me, was a roller coaster ride... I didn't immediately take to it, but then I grew to love it. And then I lost interest... and then it peaked again. And then i hated it. So, I can't recommend nor can I not recommend this book to anyone. I think it's up to you. The storyline is original, set in an alternate Earth where alien souls have taken over human bodies (and wipes our minds in the process). A particular soul Wanderer, takes over the body of a girl Melanie... who refuses to give up her mind. So together they go in search of Melanie's lover (who is still human and in hiding)... and together they become friends, and both fall in love with Jared....

Again, Stephenie Meyer has managed to turn a potentially thrilling sci-fi story into a love story instead - a great art she mastered with the Twilight series. I did like most of the book... but not the ending, and it's a pity that's what sticks in my mind.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger naechstehaltestelle said...

You could read the Millenium series by Steig Larsson. I found that to be really engaging. Sucks that the author died - Then you know there won't be any follow ups....

4:29 PM  
Blogger catty said...

ah, thanks naechstehaltestelle (what IS your name?!), always happy to receive reading tips :) Right now reading Angels & Demons again though (in preparation for the movie, and going to Rome next weekend!), and then going to read The Kite Runner... what book is on your nightstand?

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home