t

Monday, March 30, 2009

mamak me!

Mamak opened on Goulburn Street in Sydney just before we left for London. I remember going there and having the roti canai, noting that it was pretty good, but not phenomenal. It was easier for me to go to Kammadhenu in Newtown for roti.

well.

Mamak sure has up the ante! We went there for dinner last night, queued for over half an hour – it felt more like half a life time as we were hungry and right there up front is the roti guy flinging the light and delicious dough around in the air - what a tease! We even tried convincing Mel C to show some flesh to get us in faster, unfortunately her morals got in the way, dammit. After an eternity we were seated, we ordered immediately and I sat patiently sipping on my milo ais, waiting for the food to hit my tummy.

we ordered two serves of roti canai, roti telur bawang (egg & onion), two serves of maggi goreng (yeh, we were hungry), half a dozen chicken satay (which in retrospect should have been a dozen) and a serve of ayam goreng (fried chicken). We absolutely inhaled the food, and then backed up with a roti bom (unbelievable), a roti tisu, and an ais kacang, which I have to say was the only vaguely disappointing dish of the evening.































the verdict? Un-frickin-believable. Kammadhenu? What’s that? It doesn’t matter, you don’t even need to know. Mamak conquers all. The wait is well worth it for the reward, the flavours are authentic to within an inch of its life, and the prices ain’t Malaysian prices but hey for Sydney, it is pretty damn good. In comparison, we had Sushi-e (one of my favourite restaurants in Sydney) the night before, and I would hands down rather go to Mamak again.

and indeed I am, this Saturday for my very last meal in Sydney!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous mc said...

oh wow! now i have something to look forward to back in MY.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home