t

Friday, April 10, 2009

lost

on Wednesday, i was massively punished for being lazy.

i left work a smidgin early (act of lazy #1) to pick up a wee little birthday 'magic' cake for Panu from Konditor & Cook; it's just up the road from my office.. possibly a 15 minute walk at the most. But being a little bit rushed (and lazy), i jumped on the bus to go up the road three whole stops (act of lazy #2). On the bus, I checked some emails on my phone which I didn't get a chance to check before I left the office. I typed away, replied to a few and put my phone in my jacket pocket. This may not have been obvious to innocent bystanders, but I had just committed act of lazy #3. Everything, and I mean everything falls out of my pocket. I never, ever, put anything in my pocket and I knew this, as I was putting my phone in my pocket, that it would probably fall out. But at that point in time, it seemed all too hard to undo a clasp on my bag, slip the phone in the pouch and clasp it back up. Heck, i didn't even have to clasp it back up, the phone would still have been way safer.

Anyway, in the pocket. Three stops down I hop off and dash quickly to the cake shop, which was recommended to me earlier in the day by a friend. I reached for my phone to text her, to say oh my god the cakes are definitely the most adorable things in the world! but oh F*&%, where is my phone?!?!?! WHERE IS IT? i squeezed and scrunched my pocket in a million different ways, i check my bag two million ways in case somehow, i hoped dearly, that my subconscious had sneakily won the earlier battle and i had slipped my phone into my bag.

But it was not to be. I borrowed the shop's phone and call myself over and over, hoping someone would pick up. Because I know it's exciting and all to find a shiny new gadget on the bus, but I would have paid the potential thief £300 (retail price of my phone) just to give it back. they could have gone and bought an even shinier new one! But after ringing out a number of times (and wow do I really sound like that on my voicemail?), someone turned the phone off, and i knew it was gone. Gone.

The thing with this phone is that... up until late last year I had a regular yee-olde mobile phone which made and received calls and sent and received text messages. I didnt even have picture messaging! But then I was given this great smart phone by my work and slowly but surely, it wriggled its way into my life as my oncall Personal Assistant. it knows my diary, it has my notes, it has my emails, my photos, my spreadsheets, my (and yes, please kindly kick my ass for this one) passwords!!! I hyperventilate now as I think about my passwords floating around in the great abyss that is London.

I've come to rely so much on my phone that not only is it lost, I am lost without it... *sigh* work is getting me another one.. but it's just not the same - half my life was on the lost phone.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home