t

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Not quite hypothetical

I've been thinking about apologising lately. I mean, apologising to anyone who I've ever wronged or hurt, and setting things right again. This struck me yesterday when my workmate told me that a girl she knew had just passed away after a weekend accident. It wasn't that she had hurt the girl, but they had a misunderstanding a few months ago and it had never been sorted and both chose distance over facing each other. So her friend has now passed and they will never ever get a chance to patch this up.

It made me think of a couple of situations I'm sure we've all found ourselves in before. First one's straight forward - we've done something to hurt someone (intentionally or unintentionally). Second scenario is when you haven't done anything to hurt the person, but somewhere along the line, facts have been twisted and your relationship has dissolved. Either way, someone out there now holds ill feelings towards you for right or wrong reasons.

It's weird and again this is kind of hypothetical (yep Arthur, feel free to share your thoughts). I used to be of the opinion that if you have your few close friends who love you and you love them, that's all you needed.. f*&% what the rest of the world thought, in particular who cares about the people who don't even like you! That was what I believed in til about 24 hours ago. Then I thought... what if whatever happened in the past - regardless of who was wrong or right - is now in the past... and that you can be mature and mend your friendship again? I'm not saying that you should now be best friends with these people... just that.. should you never get the chance to fix things.. you can leave this place feeling contented. Which makes more sense? Maybe I'm just affected right now because I feel so bad about my workmate.

It works both ways... in being willing to apologise for what you've done, you must also be willing to accept an apology from someone who has hurt you before. I can honestly say that right now there's no one I would not give a clean slate to. Honestly.

There's only really one person I would want to set things right with, but I don't know if I have the guts to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home